Me and Mr. C are doing this dating thing and everything is copacetic. Do people even say that anymore? LOL. But, he did mention that his son is getting his driver’s license in February to which he is super excited about.
I asked how much his car insurance is going up a month by adding him to the policy. He replied “$300”. I said “Whoa”. He said “Yeah, so I’m not going to be able to afford to date you anymore. I guess I can just be your friend after that.” I responded “Really?” He said “Yes, the money has to come from somewhere so I need to pull it from the monthly dating fund.”
I thought “Is this Negro kidding me? Seriously?”
I said “Babe, listen we’ve been doing this dating thing almost a year now. I know that you have expenses. I respect that. We can definitely do cheaper dates and if you agree to pay for one nice meal a month, I will get the other and we can do cheaper dates the rest of the month.” He said, “Okay.”
Now, what bothered me about the whole situation aside from the fact that he tried to bypass the us to him just being my friend without having a conversation with me. A comment in passing a conversation does not make. Communication is essential in any relationship. He knows that.
Besides, I feel like we have transcended the normal dating to a more serious relationship and did I mention that I was in love? I mean don’t I deserve to have you come to me and discuss changes that will impact your financial situation? I think so.
I told him that. He apologized. We’re all good. So, don’t worry dear readers…we’re still copacetic. But, it did get me to thinking of ways that you and your boo thang can date a little less expensive when financial responsibilities threaten that fund.
Here are 5 Ways to Date Inexpensively:
- Groupon – I love finding good deals on Groupon and no they are not paying me. Although I wish they would, I always find good deals on Groupon and I think it’s a great way to try out new restaurants or get good deals for cheaper eats or activities. I’ve bought us Paint Nite tickets on Groupon as well as race tickets. Pretty great site.
- Home Dates – No, this is no Netflix and chill situation. Mr. C and I are in a relationship so home dates are cool now. I don’t allow men in my home that are not serious with me. I’m sorry things have changed since I was single and when I became a mother, having a man in my house who I didn’t know his mama’s maiden name and social security number was out of the question. Now, that we’ve bypassed this stage and secured our future I feel comfortable having him in my space. We’re going to have pizza or home cooked dinners and watch movies. No biggie. Low cost and effective. I’m going to get to try out some recipes on him.
- Go Dutch – I know this seems like the end of the world for some women, but when you’re in a relationship is it really? I mean his expenses are increasing and I want him to know that it is okay and I don’t want us to stop seeing each other. I’m a parent too and I would hope the same if the roles were reversed. We can split the tab or alternate paying. This isn’t our first date and it would probably be date 100 by the time his expenses change.
- Explore Nature – I know, I know…you’re black and you really don’t like the great outdoors. Really? LOL. I used to be that way. But, you can do great things like going for a nature walk and packing a picnic lunch to enjoy later. Don’t feel like cooking? Go by the grocery store and pick up some sandwiches and bottled water for less than $15.00 (unless you go to Whole Foods or Wegman’s). Very inexpensive and fun. I actually enjoy walking around outside with Mr. C. I get my steps in and we can just talk.
- Explore Your Neighborhood – I live in Maryland (aka the DMV) and they have a new museum opening up on the 24th of this month. Have you heard about it? The National Museum of African American History & Culture is opening up right in our backyard. Museums are free and we can go and experience this new piece of culture, hang out on the National mall and enjoy street food. I’m thinking a half smoke and bottled water. We can grab a blanket and lay out and just people watch while discussing all the great things we witnessed in the museum. It’s a great way to get to know each other and engage.
That’s all I have for now. Do you have any tips for low cost dating that you want to share? How much do you spend on your monthly dating expenses?